Monday, April 1, 2013

Orange Craisin Mead - Brew Day

Having just recently tried some mead that I made two years ago, Joe's Ancient Orange Mead (not the raspberry cranberry mead), and I found myself disappointed that I had not brewed more of it.  To fix this problem I have decided to brew some wonderful delicious mead at least once a year.  A few days ago I brewed, what I consider, an updated version of Joe's Ancient Orange.

Zest from 3 Cuties
Juice from said Cuties
Pulp from 1 Cutie
Handful of Craisins
1 cinnamon stick
3.5 lbs of Clover Honey
1 package of Lalvin 71b-1122 yeast

Procedure: I boiled 0.75 gallons of water.  At flame out I threw in the Craisins (to sanitize them a bit).  I then moved the water to a cold bath and added the honey.  While it was cooling I zested, juiced, and removed the pulp from the cuties; adding them to the primary along with the cinnamon stick.  When it came to temp I took my gravity, aerated, and pitched my yeast.  As per usual my gravity came in high.


Update: It took about four days but fermentation has finally taken off in full.  The only trick is keeping the fruit out of the airlock.

5/1/2013 - A month later the bubbles are still flowing.  The gas venting from the airlock smell wonderfully of oranges.

No comments:

Post a Comment