Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Hop Garden 2013


Today my final rhizome arrived from fresh hops; my Cascade. Looks like a really good rhizome this year; good and thick, plenty of buds and shoots, and a few roots (I'm optimistic). Last year I planted Williamette, Centennial, and Cascade, but the Cascade never grew. In June I tried to dig it up to see if something got to it, but it was gone. I blame squirrels... damn squirrels.

My Centennial have been coming in well so far, so no shortage this year... I hope.


My method for planting (which is far from the only method) is to dig a decent hole; maybe 12 - 18 inches in diameter and about as deep.  (There is loose soil in the picture that comes into play in the following step.)


I then fill with a compost soil mixture of at least 8 inches. I compost my spent grains after brewing for use in this and other gardening needs. I feel like this helps with drainage and provides some food for the hops. I plant my rhizome vertically, shoots pointing up, so that the top is at ground level. Some prefer to plant horizontally and have success that way.  I did that my first year and all three of my plants died.  The following year (last year) I planted vertically and only one didn't grow, and that one disappeared... damn squirrels.  It is far more likely that it was due to other factors than how I planted, but this is the method that has worked for me.


To finish I add soil to bring everything to ground level and then add a good mound of cow manure compost on top; maybe 4 to 6 inches. Over time the level will settle, and I will add more manure compost to continue organically feeding my hops. I also add a squirrel deterrent. :-)


This is a picture of my hop trellis. Hopefully later this summer I can post some pictures of four hops meeting at the top of it (though it's way more likely that only my 2 second years will make it. From last year I have my Centennial and Williamette. This year I planted Chinook (thank you travis) and Cascade.

No comments:

Post a Comment