Thursday, March 28, 2013

Raspberry Cranberry Mead - Tasting


Tonight I "brewed" my first mead in over 2 years. This is the last mead that I made. I can't recall the exact recipe, but I believe I used 2.5 lbs of clover honey, 1 lb of frozen raspberries, a handful of Craisins, and US - 05 ale yeast. I allowed it to ferment for 4 months in the primary, then another few months in secondary to clear.

I bottled it in late summer; two corked wine bottles, a bomber, and a few 12 oz bottles. Imagine my surprise when a month or so after bottling one of the corks blew off of a wine bottle, spraying mead all over my kitchen. I was planning on letting them aged, but I couldn't help but to try the blown bottle. Really hot from alcohol as I recall. That was around October of 2011. Here's what I'm getting today.

PS - this is the port bottle, a lot of dregs in the bottom.

Appearance

Light ruby. Pours effervescent with a quickly diminishing pink head. Perhaps I should put sound here too? It sounds like a champagne, hundreds of tiny bubbles constantly popping.

Aroma

Still smells like alcohol to me, but under that I am getting some sugary sweet raspberry.

Flavor

Hot with alcohol as soon as it hits the tongue. After the initial shock I'm getting a tart fruity burn on the back of the palate. The breath out of the nose gives the impression of a raspberry liquor.

Mouthfeel

Dry, fizzy, and tingley throughout the mouth.

Wish I had only made one mistake with this one. My first mead, which I was provide a tasting for in the future, ended up amazing. With this one I believe I should have added much more fruit, used an appropriate yeast, and not allowed it to dry out so much. Though I love dry wine, I do not believe I like dry mead.
I made my third mead tonight. Post to come in the near future. This is some strong mead.

Update - had another bottle, that was not the bottom of the barrel, with a friend tonight; thanks to Adam for hanging out with mead, beer, and a cigar.  Sadly the cigar made the tasting less accurate than the last, but I can tell you that this had significantly less alcohol heat.  Much more pleasant.

3 comments:

  1. Something odd is happening. Either this is getting better after the first half of the glass got me good and buzzed or it's getting better as it goes flat and warms. I'm guessing the second it true... er. I do like dry wine at room temp.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete