Thursday, September 12, 2013

Harvest WHIPA


On Labor Day I harvested my hops and brewed my Harvest Wet Hopped IPA. My crop was not as bountiful as I had hoped; a hot dry spell (accompanied by a lack of attention) burned up all my Williamette and half of my Centennial. The Chinook was very productive and I salvaged a few ounces of Centennial and about an ounce of Cascade. The majority of those hops went into this beer.

I started with what I hope will be a solid backbone for this highly hopped beer.

2 Row 8 lbs (59%)
Rye 3 lbs (22%)
Wheat 1 lb (7%)
Crystal 60 0.5 lbs (4%)

Homemade Candy Sugar 1 lb (7%)
(added with the final hop addition)

I cooked the candy sugar to a caramel brown color; it should add some more flavor as well as dry the beer out some.

All of my measurements for the hops are approximate, assuming that one bowl is 5 oz. If so, it went something like this.

Chinook 1 oz (pellet) 45 min
Chinook 5 oz (wet) 20 min
Chinook 5 oz (wet) 15 min
Chinook 5 oz (wet) 10 min
Centennial 5 oz (wet) 5 min
Cascade 5 oz (wet) 5 min


I filled the boil kettle higher than normal planning for what the hops would absorb, but apparently wet hops do not absorb much wort. My finishing volume was 5.75 gallons (I was shooting for 5.5). It is currently being fermented with 3rd generation washed US - 05.

OG - 1.070
FG - 1.016 (estimate)
IBU - 80?
ABV - 7%

3 comments:

  1. It's been awhile. I'm glad to see you're back in the game! I'll be posting a hop harvest ale post soon. Mine received a second charge of dry hops (Citra) today. I may bottle it this weekend, along with my mock barrel-aged cider.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm planning on dry hopping with either Centennial or Chinook that I have dried and packaged. The smell of this fermenting was so resiny. I'm really looking forward to trying this one.

      Delete
  2. Add some Slim Jims and you could call it WHIPA Snappa.

    ReplyDelete