Saturday, May 11, 2013

Brew Day - Cit-Wit III



This brew started for as so many others, a request from a friend.  Three years ago I was inspired by a friend, Adam, to brew a wheat beer infused with citrus and thus Cit-Wit was born.  The first year was an extract brew fermented with Fermentis US-05.  Last year I actually used a Belgian Wit yeast from White Labs.  And this year I mixed it all up again.  So even though this beer has its own name it has not even been close to the same beer twice.

This year I simplified.  I wanted to brew a simple, bright, and refreshing beer for the summer.  In the past I have used pretty massive amounts of citrus zest in this beer; including both lemon and lime.  This year I cut the dose of zest in half.  As you can see above, I used 4 Cuties, 1 navel orange, 1 grapefruit, and 1 Tangelo. This is also the first brew that will be fermented in my new Fermentation Chamber (more on that in a future post).  Here's the recipe.

50% Domestic Two-Row 4.5 lbs
50% White Wheat Malt 4.5 lbs

1 oz Saaz 45 min
1 oz Cascade 5 min
Zest at flame out

Wyeast 1010 American Wheat Ale

1.051 OG (measured)
1.012 FG (estimated)
5% ABV
18 IBU

I'll ferment it at 65* for the first few days, then I'll slowly raise the temp up to 70* to finish primary fermentation.  Cit-Wit mark3 will also be kegged.

No comments:

Post a Comment